The Department of Justice and Regulation supports the portfolios of Police and Emergency Services and has a range of responsibilities relating to the planning, management and delivery of Victoria's emergency services.
The Emergency Management Manual Victoria contains the principal policies, emergency planning and management arrangements as outlined in Emergency Management Act 2013.
Emergency Management Victoria (EMV) is the overarching body and the chief executive is responsible for the day-to-day management in Victoria. The commissioner is responsible for improving the way Victoria plans for, responds to and recovers from emergencies.
The Inspector-General for Emergency Management (IGEM) provides assurance to the government and the community in respect of emergency management arrangements and fosters continuous improvement.
The State Crisis & Resilience Council is developing an Emergency Management Strategic Action Plan to drive the state's emergency management reform, set priorities and assist in investment decisions.
The department's statutory authorities and emergency services agencies provide on-the-ground emergency response services to the Victorian community. These include the Metropolitan Fire Brigade (MFB), Country Fire Authority (CFA), State Emergency Service (SES) and the Emergency Services Telecommunications Authority (ESTA), many of which rely on volunteers.
Funding and support is also provided to organisations such as Life Saving Victoria and the Volunteer Coast Guard.
Other government departments and agencies involved with emergency management include the Department of Environment, Land, Water and Planning, the Department of Premier and Cabinet, the Department of Health and Human Services and Ambulance Victoria.
- View the Emergency Management Manual Victoria (External link)
- View the Strategic Action Plan (External link)
- Become a CFA volunteer (External link)
- Become a Victoria SES volunteer (External link)
- Apply for Volunteer Emergency Services Equipment Grant (External link)
- Learn about the Emergency Alert system (External link)
- Find out about emergency broadcasters (External link)
- Register to volunteer in an emergency (External link)
- Learn about the role of Emergency Management Victoria (External link)