What the study is about
Thank you for taking the time to consider taking part in our telephone survey. The purpose of the survey is to speak with gaming machine players about a range of issues relating to playing electronic gaming machines (‘pokies’) and the YourPlay scheme.
YourPlay is the Victorian Government’s pre-commitment scheme. YourPlay empowers players to make informed decisions about their gaming machine play. The scheme allows players to:
- set limits of time or money spent
- track their gaming machine play across Victoria.
YourPlay is now operating on all gaming machines in the state, including those at the Melbourne casino.
YourPlay is being delivered by the Department of Justice and Regulation (the department), a Victorian state government department responsible for developing policies to prevent gambling harm to the Victorian community. You can find out more about the scheme on the YourPlay website (external link)
Who is conducting the research
The department has appointed the South Australian Centre for Economic Studies, in partnership with ORC International to conduct an evaluation of YourPlay. The phone survey you are invited to participate in is part of this evaluation.
You were contacted to take part in this survey because you participated in a similar study in May 2016 and indicated that you were willing to be invited to participate in future research.
Your participation and responses will assist the department in understanding the attitudes and behaviours of gaming machine players in 2017, and assessing the impact of the YourPlay scheme.
What you need to know before committing to the telephone survey
The study is totally voluntary and there is no obligation to take part.
- The study will be used to understand the attitudes and behaviours of gaming machine players since the introduction of YourPlay.
- All information is strictly confidential and no individuals will be identified in the reporting for this study. Information will only be reported through summary trends which represent how people feel overall or their overall attitudes.
- If you feel that talking about gambling may upset you in any way, we would ask you to consider not to take part. Please also know that Gambler’s Help can provide free counselling to gamblers and their families or friends on 1800 858 858. Lifeline also provides telephone counselling on 13 11 14 if this would be more suitable.
- Any identifiable data will be removed following the completion of the survey (around 1-2 months after data collection ends).
- For accurate results to allow us to measure the impact of YourPlay, it is really important that you provide honest views about how you feel – there are no right or wrong answers – we are only looking for your opinions, so we appreciated your own frank and candid views.
- You are free to voluntary withdraw from the study at any time and are under no obligation to answer all or any specific questions.
- The survey will take on average between 12-20 minutes depending on your views and how long you need to answer the questions.
- After completing the survey, if you wish to have your data deleted or removed, you are free to contact ORC International on 03 9935 5700.
- As part of the survey quality control processes, if you do take part, you may be contacted for a short follow-up call to make sure that the interviewer has gathered quality data. This involves checking a few random answers and we would appreciate your participation in this process. Some interviews may also be supervised for quality control. Please tell the interviewer if you do not wish this to occur.
Again, we thank you for interest in this research.
You can get in contact with ORC International by calling Katherine Tran on 03 9935 5700 or visiting the ORC International website (external link)
If you have a complaint about this study or any general questions about this study or the YourPlay scheme, please contact the department on 03 8684 8253 or via email.