The department has a role across government and in the community to sustain and improve outcomes for vulnerable children and their families.
All families need support to meet their own and their children’s needs. Some families need a family support service when they are experiencing difficulties that make them more vulnerable, and impact on their parenting and family life.
Meeting the needs of children and making sure they are safe in the family is a shared responsibility between individuals, the family, the community and the government.
The department is coordinating the Victorian Government’s response to the Betrayal of Trust report, which came from the Inquiry into the Handling of Child Abuse by Religious and Other Organisations. The department is also coordinating the Victorian response to the Royal Commission into Institutional Responses to Child Sexual Abuse. It is part of the department’s commitment to helping reduce family violence and child abuse in our community.
- Emergencies call 000 (triple zero) (External link)
- Find your local police station (External link)
- Crime Stoppers 1800 333 000 (External link)
- Victims of Crime Helpline 8am-11pm 1800 819 817 (External link)
- Child and family services information, referral and support teams (External link)