- Phone 03 8684 7523
121 Exhibition Street
Melbourne VIC 3000
The Native Title Unit in the department is responsible for the administration and implementation of the state’s responsibilities under the Native Title Act 1993 (Cth) and the Traditional Owner Settlement Act 2010 (Vic). This includes:
- leading agreement-making with traditional owner groups to resolve native title and address land justice
- implementing a coordinated approach to managing native title claims and negotiating agreements across the government
- providing policy advice and coordination.
The Native Title Unit works in collaboration with a number of state agencies to negotiate settlements including:
- Department of Environment, Land, Water and Planning
- Department of Premier and Cabinet
- Department of Treasury and Finance
- Department of Economic Development, Transport, Jobs and Resources.