An application for ethics approval must be made to the Justice Human Research Ethics Committee (JHREC) for all research and evaluation conducted by or for the department (including agencies and auspices) when it involves more than a low level risk for:
- people that the department is responsible for
- people associated with or affected by the activities of the department.
This also includes the use of or access to information relating to any of the above groups.
Low risk is defined by the National Statement as "where the only foreseeable risk is one of discomfort. Where the risk, even if unlikely, is more serious than discomfort, the research is not low risk".
In addition, research involving the following groups will always require ethics consideration, irrespective of the level of risk, because of concerns regarding its sensitivity or vulnerability:
- Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander Peoples
- people who may be involved in illegal activities
- people with a cognitive impairment, an intellectual disability, or a mental illness.
|Year||Meeting number||Submissions close||Meeting dates|
|2017||1||23 December||9 February|
|2||10 February||16 March|
|3||17 March||27 April|
|4||28 April||1 June|
|5||19 June||3 August|
|6||4 August||14 September|
|7||15 September||26 October|
|8||27 October||7 December|
Members are appointed for three years and are eligible for re-appointment for a maximum term of nine years.
- Dr David Hamilton - Chair
- Mr Andrew Boatman - Lay member
- Ms Melanie Casley - Department representative
- A/Prof Mark McMillan - Koori representative member
- Dr Philomena Horsley - Researcher member
- Mr Carl Wood - Lay member
- Ms Penelope Ralston - Lawyer member
- The Hon Shane Marshall - Lawyer member
- Prof Frances Quirk - Research member
- Rev Robert Ferguson - Pastoral care member
- Mr Abdullah Nu’Man - Pastoral care member
- Mr Gordon Rosario - Professional care member
- Dr Alexandra West - Professional care member
- Dr Pam Montgomery - Lay member
Reporting to JHREC (for approved projects)
An Amendment Request Form needs to be completed when any alterations are made to the project such as staff changes and changes to the methodology or research instruments. If a department letter of support was attached to your application, the business areas concerned need to be informed of the amendment prior to submission to JHREC.
Annual Report Forms are to be submitted every 12 months for projects which extend beyond 12 months in duration.
Completion Forms must be submitted on the conclusion of the research phase. A copy of the research findings are also required on finalisation of the project.
Note: long term or ongoing projects are required to submit a completion form at the end of each five-year period and renewed by submitting a new application.
National Health and Medical Research Council
The National Health and Medical Research Council Act 1992 requires that all research "involving or impacting on humans" conforms to the National Statement on Ethical Conduct in Human Research (External link)
Research must also comply with the Australian Code for the Responsible Conduct of Research (External link) which replaced the joint Health and Medical Research Council (NHMRC) and Australian Vice Chancellors' Committee (AVCC) Statement and Guidelines on Research Practice (1997).
Making a complaint
Any complaint about the JHREC's review of an application can be forwarded to the Director, Information Integrity and Access within the Department of Justice and Regulation, via email firstname.lastname@example.org or post:
Director, Information and Integrity and Access
24/121 Exhibition Street
Melbourne VIC 3000
The nature of the complaint should be clearly outlined, and any additional information supporting the complaint should also be provided. The Director of Information Integrity and Access will provide advice to the complainant on any action to be taken.
|Author:||Justice Human Research Ethics Committee|
|Publisher:||Department of Justice and Regulation|
|Date of Publication:||September, 2016|
|Copyright||State of Victoria, 2016|