You are here:

Licences and certificates

Official stamping a licensing form

The department issues licences and certificates and maintains registers for business and personal use. It regulates select industry sectors by supporting the licensing and regulatory bodies that are responsible for managing licensing policies, breaches and complaints.

The department is one of a number of government departments and agencies responsible for licenses and certificates in Victoria. Depending on the licence, certificate or register you require, you may need to contact your local council, another Victorian government department or a federal government department.

For the licences, certificates and registers managed by the department, this section outlines where to:

  • apply for different licences or certificates
  • question a licensing decision
  • complain about a breach of licence conditions.

Common non-business licences and certificates obtained for personal use include birth, death and marriage certificates, firearms licences, Working with Children Check cards and Proof of Age cards.

Frequently requested business licences and certificates include liquor licences, responsible service of alcohol and gambling licences, estate agents licences and security business licences.

The department supports licensing and regulatory bodies across Victoria, including the Business Licensing Authority, Consumer Affairs Victoria, the Victorian Civil and Administrative Tribunal (VCAT) and the Victorian Commission for Gambling and Liquor Regulation (VCGLR).

Inside the Birth, Death & Marriages customer service centre on Collins Street Melbourne

Births, deaths and marriages (External link)

Certificates and registries for births, deaths and relationships, and family history resources

A pair of hands playing with finger puppets

Working with children (External link)

Checks for people in paid or voluntary child-related work.

Clothing shop

Business licensing

Licensing, registration and regulation of businesses and industries.

Sample Working with Children Check card


Non-business licences, certificates and registers, including birth certificates and Working with Children Checks

Aboriginal & Torres Strait Islander flags

The department acknowledges Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander people as the Traditional Custodians of the land and acknowledges and pays respect to their Elders, past and present.