The Office of Adoption Services Victoria at 570 Bourke St Melbourne is closed until further notice.

Our Case Managers are still available to assist via email.

For enquiries about:

For all other enquires, please email details to (External link) and your email will be forwarded to the relevant team for action.

People who have been adopted will have their own experience of adoption and their experience of adoption may change across their life. Many find it beneficial to seek the records that were created at the time of their adoption.

The information available comes from the records held by the adoption agency and the records from the Court that made the adoption order.

When you apply the case manager will also check the Adoption Information Register.

Interview with a case manager

Under the Adoption Act 1984 you must have an interview with a case manager from Adoption Information Services prior to receiving your records unless you can demonstrate that you have already established contact with a parent listed on your original (pre-adoption) birth certificate. 

Apply for records from an adoption agency

If the adoption agency that arranged your adoption is still an approved adoption agency, they can provide you with your adoption records.

This includes agencies where the agency has merged with another or the agency has changed names. For example the adoption records created by St Joseph's Babies Home in Glenroy are now held by CatholicCare.

If the adoption agency that arranged your adoption has ceased to arrange adoptions, you need to apply for records through Adoption Information Services. Even if the adoption agency does continue to operate, you may choose to seek your records through Adoption Information Services.

You can out more about past adoption agencies on Find and Connect (External link).

Apply for original birth certificate

Once you have completed the interview, you can apply directly to Births, Deaths, Marriages (BDM) (External link) for your original birth certificate.

Usually, a copy of the original birth certificate will be contained in the court record.