The Office of Adoption Services Victoria at 570 Bourke St Melbourne is closed until further notice.

Our Case Managers are still available to assist via email.

For enquiries about:

For all other enquires, please email details to (External link) and your email will be forwarded to the relevant team for action.

You can receive the records of your child’s adoption.

On 25 October 2012, the Victorian parliament formally apologised to the mothers who were profoundly harmed by past adoption practices in Victoria. The Victorian parliament acknowledged that many thousands of Victorian babies were taken from their mothers, without informed consent, and that this loss caused immense grief.

Both mothers who gave up their children for adoption and mothers whose babies were taken without informed consent can apply for information about their adult adopted children.

While adult adopted people have had access to identifying information about their parents since 1984, legislative changes in 2013 also allow mothers to obtain identifying information about their adult adopted children.

Adoption information

The information available are the records held by the adoption agency and the records from the Court that made the adoption order.

When you make an application the case manager will also check the Adoption Information Register.

Interview with case manager

Under the Adoption Act 1984 you must have an interview with a case manager from Adoption Information Services prior to receiving your records unless you can demonstrate that you have already established contact with your child.

Apply for records from an adoption agency

If the adoption agency that arranged your child’s adoption is still an approved adoption agency, they can provide you with your adoption records. This includes agencies where the agency has merged with another or the agency has changed names. For example, the adoption records created by St Joseph's Babies Home in Glenroy are now held by CatholicCare.

If the adoption agency that arranged your adoption has ceased to arrange adoptions, you need to apply for records through Adoption Information Services.

Even if the adoption agency does continue to operate, you may choose to seek your records through Adoption Information Services.

You can out more about past adoption agencies on Find and Connect (External link).