To safeguard fair trading and to protect your rights, the Department of Justice and Community Safety and its associated agencies issue licences and certificates and regulate and maintain registers for a selection of industry sectors.

Use the information below to find out where to:

  • apply for different licences or certificates
  • question or appeal a licensing decision
  • complain about a breach of, or dispute about, licence conditions.

Select your business or industry below to find the relevant licensing body to contact.

Can't find it?

If the business licence or certificate you are looking for is not listed below, it is not issued or regulated by the Department of Justice and Community Safety or its agencies.

To search a complete list of licensing agencies at all local, state and federal levels, visit the Australian Business Licence and Information Service (External link).


Security businesses

The Victorian Security Industry Advisory Council

The Victorian Security Industry Advisory Council provides strategic policy advice to the Minister for Police and Emergency Services, as the minister responsible for administering the Private Security Act 2004 on:

  • the operation and possible further reform of the regulatory framework for the Victorian private security industry, with a view to improving ethical and professional standards of practice with the industry
  • the effectiveness of the regulation of the Victorian private security industry and any need for reform
  • the strategic directions for regulation of the private security industry
  • specific advice as requested by the minister in relation to the viability of proposals for reform
  • the development of draft policies and procedures relating to the operation of one or more aspects of the private security industry for consideration by the minister.

The council’s membership consists of representatives from a broad range of security industry groups and associations, including Victoria Police as the industry’s regulator, who bring particular expertise and knowledge of the industry in supporting the council in its work.

Private security business licenses (External link) – security guarding (armed and unarmed), crowd control, investigators, bodyguards, trainers

Agency: Victoria Police (External link)


Working with children

Only people who are engaged in paid or voluntary child-related work are required to apply for a Working with Children Check. To find out if you or your employees or volunteers need a Working with Children Check, visit the Working with Children website (External link)

Agency:  Department of Justice and Community Safety, Working with Children Check Unit (External link)

Oversights and appeals:  Victorian Civil and Administrative Tribunal (External link)

Within this section



Non-business licences, certificates and registers, including birth certificates and Working with Children Checks