An overview of the department's organisational structure is available below.
You can also visit contact us to reach the department's business areas, statutory entities or service locations.
Department of Justice and Community Safety
Office of the Secretary
- People and Workplace Services
Justice Policy and Data Reform
Justice Policy and Data Reform is responsible for supporting the criminal and civil justice systems by linking and leveraging data between them and working across government to better serve our common clients.
We collaborate with key entities across the justice system and the department to ensure policy reform is strategic, relevant, holistic and people-centred. We also deliver strategic policy and legislative advice and reform to support the Attorney-General and Government to enhance the justice and community safety system.
- Justice Policy Advice
- Development of the new Youth Justice Bill
- Government response to the Police Informants Royal Commission
- Entities, Governance and Support
- Justice System Reform
- System Stewardship
- Whole of Department Data Reform
Corrections and Justice Services
Corrections and Justice Service oversees three key areas. Corrections Victoria is responsible for the direction and management of Victoria’s adult corrections system. Justice Health contributes to the health and rehabilitation of youth and adult offenders. Justice Services work collaboratively with communities and program areas to deliver effective justice services to meet local needs and priorities.
- Justice Services (formerly Regional Services Network)
- Corrections Victoria (led by Commissioner Corrections)
- Justice Health
Service Delivery Reform, Coordination and Workplace Safety
Service Delivery Reform, Coordination and Workplace Safety is responsible for coordinating the justice and the social services systems to ensure they work effectively together and account for the specific needs of people and community. We also oversee the department’s strategic approach to stakeholder partnerships and the delivery of our inclusion and intersectionality agenda.
- Stakeholder Engagement
- Service Delivery Reform
- Government Response to the Royal Commission into Mental Health
- Workplace Safety
- Strategic Communication
- Royal Commission into Family Violence Justice Implementation Coordination
- Intergovernmental Relations
- Commonwealth Royal Commissions
- Ministerial Services Coordination
- Asset Confiscation
- Victim Support
Youth Justice is responsible for the statutory supervision of young people in the criminal justice system, both in custody and in the community. We provide programs and resources to assist these young people to develop the knowledge, skills and attitudes to manage their lives effectively without further offending.
- Youth Justice Commissioner
- Youth Justice Custodial Operations
- Youth Justice Community Services
- Youth Justice Policy, Strategy and Engagement
- Youth Justice System Coordination, Infrastructure and Workforce
- Youth Justice Reform
The Aboriginal Justice group drives change and coordinates efforts across the department to improve justice outcomes for Aboriginal Victorians.
- Koori Justice
- Native Title and Traditional Owner settlements
Justice Infrastructure/Community Safety Building Authority
The Community Safety Building Authority's (CSBA) primary functions are planning, designing, procuring and building new infrastructure assets as well as modernising and upgrading existing facilities.
- Commercial and Legal
- Governance and Assurance
- Reporting and Administration
- Major Projects
- Program Delivery
- Project Development and Advice
- Emergency Services Infrastructure Authority
- Melbourne Protective Security Enhancement Program
Regulation, Legal and Integrity
Deputy Secretary/Chief Counsel
- Office of the General Counsel
- Consumer Affairs Victoria
- Assurance Services and Entities
- Dispute Resolution Services
- Information Services
- Policy and Governance Services
- Gaming and Liquor
- Gambling Licencing Program
- Audit and Investigations
Police, Fines and Crime Prevention
Police, Fines and Crime Prevention enhances community safety through public policy, governance and legislative advice and reform, community crime prevention advice and programs, efforts to counter violent extremism, management of the end-to-end infringements system and enforcement activities, and management of Victoria’s road safety camera program.
- Community Crime Prevention
- Countering Violent Extremism
- Police, Policy and Strategy
- Road Safety Camera Program
- Fines and Enforcement Services
- Registry of Births, Deaths and Marriages and Adoption Services operations
- Working With Children Check
Emergency Management Victoria (EMV)
Acting Deputy Secretary
EMV is responsible for the design and operation of emergency management in Victoria. EMV drives the integration of policy, strategy, operational coordination, planning and investment across Victoria’s emergency management sector, contributing to safer, more resilient communities.
- Fire Services Reform
- Emergency Management ICT
- Strategy, Legislation and Policy
- Operational Coordination and Recovery
- Capability and Risk
Corporate Governance and Support
- Finance, Procurement and Performance
- Technology Solutions
- CGaS Transformation
- Evidence and Insights