If you believe that a child is in immediate harm, please contact the police on 000 (Triple Zero).
This page provides directions on how to contact the Department of Justice and Community Safety to report allegations of child abuse by employees, contractors, consultants and volunteers engaged by the department.
If you wish to report allegations of child abuse involving another organisation, you can contact the Commission for Children and Young People
If you wish to learn more about your organisation's obligations under the Reportable Conduct Scheme you can:
- Read an overview of the Child Safe Standards and Reportable Conduct Scheme, and Betrayal of Trust implementation on this website.
- Visit the Commission for Children and Young People's website
Reportable Conduct Scheme
From 1 July 2017, the Reportable Conduct Scheme imposes new obligations on the department to have systems in place to prevent child abuse, and if child abuse is alleged, to ensure those allegations can be brought to the attention of appropriate persons for investigation and response.
The department must also notify the Commission for Children and Young People of allegations of child abuse (and other child-related misconduct).
What can be reported?
Reportable conduct includes any of the following:
- a sexual offence committed against, with or in the presence of a child, whether or not a criminal proceeding in relation to the offence has been commenced or concluded
- sexual misconduct, committed against, with or in the presence of a child
- physical violence, committed against, with or in the presence of a child
- any behaviour that causes significant emotional or psychological harm to a child, or
- significant neglect of a child.
Who can an allegation of reportable conduct be made against?
An allegation of reportable conduct can be made about any person over 18 years of age who is an employee, contractor, consultant and volunteer of the department even if:
- they don’t have direct contact with children as part of their work
- the conduct occurred outside of their work.
How do I make an allegation of reportable conduct?
You may make an allegation of reportable conduct to the department’s Child Safety Officer:
- by phone
- by email.
Child Safety Officer
Department of Justice and Community Safety
GPO Box 4356
MELBOURNE VIC 3000
Phone: (03) 8803 8571
The department treats all allegations very seriously and will endeavour to respond to all allegations as soon as possible. When an allegation is made via email, the sender will receive an email acknowledging receipt of the allegation by the department. Should an acknowledgement email not be received within one day of submitting an allegation, the sender is encouraged to contact the department's Child Safety Officer on (03) 8803 8571.
Alternatively, an allegation of reportable conduct can be made directly to the Commission for Children and Young People.
Commission for Children and Young People
570 Bourke Street
Melbourne Victoria 3000
Phone: (03) 8601 5281