If you need legal assistance, there are a number of options available to you including assistance from community organisations, government-funded services and the private sector. 

If you have a legal problem, or want to find out information about the law, Victoria Legal Aid (VLA) – an agency of the department – may be able to help. VLA offers free advice on what you may need to do to solve your legal problem, although it does not give legal advice on all matters.

For those who face economic or social disadvantage, the Federation of Community Legal Centres can point you to a free local service.

Office of the Public Advocate provides advice on topics affecting people with a disability, and the Victorian Aboriginal Legal Service provides free legal advice to the Koori community.

If you need to find a lawyer, the Law Institute of Victoria can refer you to member solicitors who are practising in your relevant area of law.

In some cases, issues can be resolved out of court. The Dispute Settlement Centre – another agency of the department – offers free advice on disagreements, particularly between neighbours or other individuals.

If you have used a lawyer, and would like to make a complaint or ask a question about the service you received, the Legal Services Board and Commissioner can help.

Within this section