- Cherry Creek
On this page
Youth justice workers empower young people to steer their lives in a positive direction. They work in a safe and secure custodial environment and act as part of an extended family for young people in their care, helping them work to a daily structure, achieve key goals and develop life skills.
We look for:
- passion and empathy – the willingness to work with children and young people while still setting boundaries.
- life experience – the ability to adapt and manage challenging situations.
- dedication and resilience – maintaining positivity and commitment following setbacks.
- teamwork – being a natural team player and working well with a close team.
- verbal and written communication skills – report writing will be part of your job.
- proactivity – solving challenges and complex issues with bright ideas.
We also value qualifications or experience in the following areas: case management, youth work, community services, social studies, education, criminology or allied health practices such as psychology, speech pathology, occupational therapy, psychiatric nursing or alcohol and other drugs.
If you’re open to relocating, up to $10,000 is currently being offered to cover expenses in moving from your current home to within a 60-minute drive of our facilities. This reimbursement can be used for moving costs, travel costs, removalist hire or temporary accommodation.
Cherry Creek reimagines what a custodial facility can be.
Set in a picturesque part of Victoria, close to Werribee, Cherry Creek is a safe and secure place where young people can work on getting their lives back on track. Their efforts are supported by evidence-based programs and services.
At Cherry Creek, we want young people to return home with the confidence that they can thrive in their own communities. Young people live in four-bed and eight-bed units across different neighbourhoods. Each unit is equipped with a kitchen, living and outdoor area to support independent living skills.
Cherry Creek's modern features include:
- A dedicated health centre and two mental health units for young people.
- Purpose-built buildings to deliver programs in education.
- A recreational centre and vocational training campus for trade-specific courses.
- A spiritual and cultural space for cultural and faith-based programs, including gardens and a yarning circle.
- Energy-efficient design throughout the precinct, including the use of many recycled materials.
- Age-appropriate and culturally sensitive accommodation and learning environments.
- Modern and spacious staff facilities with views of the You Yangs mountain range.
- Access to on-site parking and a fully equipped staff gym.
Youth justice workers at Cherry Creek also support the delivery of specialist programs and services.
Your valuable qualifications and experiences will enable you to actively participate as a key worker in a young person’s care team to monitor progress against identified goals and support rehabilitative outcomes.
In partnership with rehabilitation and behaviour support services, you will also implement strategies that address and manage challenging behaviours and escalating issues.
As part of our multidisciplinary team, you can look forward to ongoing professional development. Once a fortnight, youth justice workers at Cherry Creek have a crossover day with supervisors where they focus on training and development needs and team building.
Parkville Youth Justice Precinct is located in the inner northern suburbs of Melbourne. It accommodates young people (boys and girls) from 10 years old to 22 years old. It is easily accessible through various transport routes including trains and buses.
Malmsbury Youth Justice Precinct is located approximately 100 kms north of Melbourne. It accommodates sentenced young people up to the age of 22 and is commutable from many Melbourne suburbs in less than an hour.
Learn more about living in Malmsbury