The Victorian Government values and celebrates diversity. It affirms the right to equality, fairness and decency for lesbian, gay, bisexual, trans and gender diverse, and intersex (LGBTIQ) Victorians, and is committed to removing discrimination from Victorian laws, services and society.
The LGBTIQ Justice Working Group has been established to support the LGBTIQ taskforce.
About the LGBTIQ taskforce
The LGBTIQ taskforce provides high level, strategic advice to the Minister for Equality and government departments on current and emerging LGBTIQ issues and on government policy, programs and services to address those issues. The taskforce will also work closely with Victoria's Commissioner for Gender and Sexuality to ensure that the government’s equality initiatives are underpinned by genuine community consultation.
Read more about the taskforce on the Department of Premier and Cabinet website
About the LGBTIQ Justice Working Group
The role of the LGBTIQ Justice Working Group is to:
- provide subject matter advice to the taskforce and the relevant government departments on matters of government policy, programs and services
- provide subject matter advice to the taskforce on current and emerging LGBTIQ issues
- provide advice on other matters referred by the taskforce, or where agreed by the chairperson, the relevant government department.
The LGBTIQ Justice Working Group advises on issues relating to civil law, criminal law, youth justice, safe communities, policing, corrections and related matters.
Issues relating to the health and human services and education portfolios will be addressed by other working groups of the taskforce. The LGBTIQ Justice Working Group may be required to liaise with these groups on matters involving common or overlapping concerns.
The LGBTIQ Justice Working Group is co-chaired by Janet Jukes and Harriet Shing MP. Members of the LGBTIQ Justice Working Group are: Aimee Cooper, Anna Brown, Christine Haag, Dale Park, Felicity Marlowe, James Roffee, Maree Foelz, Paul Kidd, Sam Elkin, Steven Michelson, Wendy Brokenshire, Wil Stracke.
While members are appointed for their individual skills and experience, they bring to the table a wide range of organisational and community connections.
LGBTIQ taskforce members are ex-officio members of the LGBTIQ Justice Working Group. Victoria’s Commissioner for Gender and Sexuality, Ro Allen also attends LGBTIQ Justice Working Group meetings.
The Department of Justice and Community Safety provides secretariat support to the LGBTIQ Justice Working Group.
For information about previous working groups, you can see:
- LGBTIQ Justice Working Group Communiques 2018-19
- LGBTI Justice Working Group and Communiques 2015-17
- Communique - Meeting 11 - 20 September 2021
- Communique - Meeting 10 - 26 July 2021
- Communique - Meeting 9 - 3 May 2021
- Communique - Meeting 8 - 22 February 2021
- Communique - Meeting 7 - 7 December 2020
- Communique - Meeting 6 - 2 November 2020
- Communique - Meeting 5 - 31 August 2020
- Communique - Meeting 4 - 29 June 2020
- Communique - Meeting 3 - 11 May 2020
- Communique - Meeting 2 - 20 April 2020
- Communique - Meeting 1 - 17 February 2020