The Victorian Government values and celebrates diversity. It affirms the right to equality, fairness and decency for lesbian, gay, bisexual, trans and gender diverse, and intersex (LGBTI) Victorians, and is committed to removing discrimination from Victorian laws, services and society.
The LGBTI Justice Working Group has been established to support the LGBTI taskforce.
About the taskforce
The LGBTI taskforce provides high level, strategic advice to the Minister for Equality and government departments on current and emerging LGBTI issues and on government policy, programs and services to address those issues. The taskforce will also work closely with Victoria's Commissioner for Gender and Sexuality to ensure that the government’s equality initiatives are underpinned by genuine community consultation.
Read more about the taskforce on the Department of Premier and Cabinet website
About the Justice Working Group
The role of the Justice Working Group is to:
- provide subject matter advice to the taskforce and the relevant government departments on matters of government policy, programs and services
- provide subject matter advice to the taskforce on current and emerging LGBTI issues
- provide advice on other matters referred by the taskforce, or where agreed by the chairperson, the relevant government department.
The Justice Working Group advises on issues relating to civil law, criminal law, youth justice, safe communities, policing, corrections and related matters.
Issues relating to the health and human services and education portfolios will be addressed by other working groups of the taskforce. The Justice Working Group may be required to liaise with these groups on matters involving common or overlapping concerns.
The Justice Working Group is co-chaired by Anna Brown and Harriet Shing MP. Members of the Working Group are: Liana Buchanan, Paul Kidd, Felicity Marlowe, Aimee Cooper, James Roffee, Elizabeth Bennett, Janet Jukes, Lee Carnie, Maree Foelz and Kochava Lilit.
While members are appointed for their individual skills and experience, they bring to the table a wide range of organisational and community connections.
LGBTI taskforce members are ex-officio members of the Justice Working Group. Victoria’s Commissioner for Gender and Sexuality, Ro Allen also attends Justice Working Group meetings.
The Department of Justice and Community Safety provides secretariat support to the Justice Working Group.
Please see LGBTI Justice Working Group and Communiques 2015-17 for information about the previous working group.
- Communique - Meeting 1 - 5 February 2018
- Communique - Meeting 2 - 26 March 2018
- Communique - Meeting 3 - 21 May 2018
- Communique - Joint meeting with Health and Human Services Working Group - 1 June 2018
- Communique - Meeting 4 - 23 July 2018
- Communique - Meeting 5 - 17 September 2018
- Communique - Meeting 6 - 17 December 2018
- Communique - Meeting 7 - 21 February 2019
- Communique - Meeting 8 - 18 March 2019
- Communique - Meeting 9 - 2 May 2019
- Communique - Meeting 10 - 17 June 2019
- Communique - Meeting 11 - 1 August 2019